Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Democratic Five: Why I am a Democrat

I've been asked this question countless times...Why are you a Democrat? When I first got into the political process, I joined the Democratic Party, at age 18, because it wasn't the party of Bush. But when I learned more about the political process, I knew that the Democratic Party was the party for me. Why? Because it is the party that was able to enact the most change I wanted to see when it came to the current American political system and I feel the best way to enact that change is to get involved within the party and make these things happen. Is it always easy? No. But is the work necessary? Yes.

The 2nd question I get is...Do you always vote Democratic? And the answer to this is no. I tend to vote mostly Democratic, however, there have been times I have voted 3rd party, or even Republican. It was because those Democrats either didn't reflect my views or didn't convince me of their vote.

The 3rd question I get is...So if the Democratic Party sometimes doesn't reflect your views, then what kind of Democrat are you? I'm a progressive Democrat. To me, what that means is that you support Democratic candidates and policies that are progressive, meaning that they might be 'seen' as 'liberal' by some, but simply enough, I want society, our government, and our country to move forward. I know that moving forward means different things to different people, but for me, it means equal opporunity and equality for all, protecting our civil liberties and rights, protecting and saving our planet from the path its on right now, war only as a last resort, affordable and accessible healthcare for all, education for all and making higher education more affordable, and having a fair playing ground for all people when it comes to economc growth and opportunity. These are the general things I want to see America accomplish.


The 4th question is Why not the Republican Party or a 3rd party? Actually, this isn't an easy question to answer. The Republican party hasn't always been hijacked by the Reagan, the Bushes, and the religious right. The Barry Goldwaters of the world didn't care who I slept with, or about gays in the military, but the current Republican party has used the gay community as a wedge issue (see "Gay Marriage" and "Conservative Base" in the 2004 election), has denied the rights of women when it came to their bodies and reproductive rights, and has continued support of abstinence only sex education. The Republican Party has lost its mind when it comes to economics. The idea that the rich will 'trickle-down' their money to help the poor and disenfranchised is a lie that is still being perpuated by the current leadership of the Republican Party. John McCain, the Republican nominee for President has included in part of his economic plan to give tax breaks to corporations and not families who desperately need them, talk about a loss of reality on who really needs help in America. Sure, let's give more money to oil companies, because we see how they've helped us so far. Are you happy with your $4-$5 gas/galloon? I sure the hell am not. This is not to suggest that some Democrats are not in the pockets of big oil companies and corporations, because this is Washington, the circus isn't going to change because of the election of Barack Obama, but we can work toward a political climate that values people over PACs, but this is the necessary work that needs to happen.

So why not 3rd parties? My support for the Democratic Party isn't because I do not respect or see commonalities between the major parties and 3rd parties. I do recognize that 3rd parties have historically been an influential part of the American political system, and I hope that they continue to be an integral part of our political system. I think the 2 major parties can take a lesson from 3rd parties, and help them become the parties they need to be to represent the American people. However, as I stated before, I want our country to be changed and the system changed as well. Working within the system with progressive views and policies from progressive 3rd parties is something the Democratic Party needs. The Democratic Party is making a turn to become more progressive, but we need, not only the election of Barack Obama to occur, but we need a progressive 60 seat majority in the US Senate. Is this work easy? No. Is it necessary? Yes.

Lastly, will you always be a Democrat? That answer depends on if the Democratic Party will continue to generally reflect the economic and social views and values that I hold. The Republican and Democratic Parties have changed over time and I suspect they will change again. So the answer remains to be seen, but as for now, I am a Democrat, and a proud one at that.

No comments: